Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Job Corps’ mission is to assist eligible youth to connect to the labor force by providing comprehensive and integrated academic, career technical, workforce preparation and independent living skills and support services leading to: Successful careers in in-demand industry sectors or occupations or the Armed Services that will result in economic self-sufficiency and opportunities for advancement; Enrollment in postsecondary education, including an apprenticeship program leading to long-term attachment to the labor force; and Responsible citizenship.
Summary of Duties:
Coordinates and administers meal preparation, service, and clean up in the kitchen and cafeteria.
Description of Duties:
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
- Maintains kitchen work area and cafeteria cleanliness: Keeps all equipment used in the preparation, storage, and serving of food is in sanitary condition. Keeps storerooms, walk-in refrigerators, and freezers clean and orderly. Sets up dish room and dishwashing machine before each meal. Washes worktables, walls, refrigerators, and meat blocks. Scrapes food from dirty dishes and places them in the racks or on conveyor to dishwashing machines. Ensures that the cafeteria and restrooms are clean, clutter-free and safe at all times.
- Assists with food preparation: Washes pots, pans, and trays. Sweeps, mops, and waxes cafeteria and kitchen floors. Segregates and removes trash and garbage and places it in designated containers. Steam-cleans or hoses out garbage cans. Sets up dining room tables. Keeps service line supplied with dishes, silverware, glasses, milk, food, etc. during service times. Works as needed to prepare and serve food in accordance with pre-planned menus. Other duties as assigned.
- Maintains acceptable standards of personal and area cleanliness when handling and preparing meals: Keeps assigned work areas well organized and clean. Cleans, mops, and empties waste when assigned or as needed. Handles food in a sanitary manner, including receipt, preparation and storage.
- Assures proper equipment use and maintenance. Uses food service equipment including meat slicer, blender, food processor, mixer, ovens, grill, knives and other items as necessary. Cleans, sanitizes, and ensures equipment is maintained in good working order. Notifies supervisor when repairs or replacements are needed.
- Maintains a safe work environment: Personally wears nonslip shoes and ensures that this and all safety procedures are followed by him/herself, other staff, Students and visitors.
- Assists in the development of students’ Career Success Standards: Ensures that students receive information on the nutritional value of food. Teaches Students how to make healthy selections. Ensures that the students’ behavior is appropriate in the dining hall and kitchen areas.
- Supports the CDSS initiatives: Develops and implements a productive Work-based Learning program to include the development of students’ social and employability skills. Explores innovative ways to incorporate food and nutrition into the academic, CTT, and leisure time learning program. Establishes Center-wide events for Students and staff that promote healthy living. Must be responsive to student’s needs, abilities, and conduct.
Education and Experience
High School Diploma or GED
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
ServSafe Certification, Valid state driver’s license, Other culinary arts certifications desired.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and listen, sit, stand, and walk; to reach with hands, arms, as well as use hands to finger, handle or feel, to taste and smell. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision capabilities required by this job include; close, distance and peripheral vision.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of what employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level can vary from moderate to loud.