Bernalillo Public Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Custodian (2019-2020 School Year) 1/2 Time
at Bernalillo Public Schools
Supervisor: Building Administrator
Work Site: Districtwide
General Job Description:
To provide a safe and clean working and learning environment for students, teachers and staff. To provide the daily cleaning and supplying of classrooms, offices, restrooms, lounges, corridors, and other areas assigned by the daily schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Have a thorough understanding of the facility and the method, supplies and equipment used for each task.
- Follow standard cleaning procedures using proper chemical and equipment to complete the job.
- Secure the building, close windows, lock doors, tum off lights, air conditioning or heaters.
- Participate in training and retraining sessions as scheduled.
- Inspect and report all unsafe conditions to Head Custodian or administrator.
- Operate all equipment and perform all duties in a safe way to prevent injury to self and others.
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and hygiene.
- Inspect equipment to see that it is maintained in a clean condition and is in good repair.
- Move furniture or equipment within buildings as required for various activities and as directed by the principal.
- Comply with local laws and procedures for the storage and disposal of trash, rubbish, and waste.
- Remain on school premises during assigned hours (both school hours and non-school hours) when the use of the building has been authorized and his/her attendance is required by the principal or supervisor.
- Immediately report any damage to the school property to the principal/supervisor.
- Communicate with and work cooperatively with colleagues, supervisors, and administrators.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior.
- Follow district policies and administrative rules and regulations.
- Successfully complete assigned work.
- Carry out assignments and instructions from supervisors(s) in a competent and efficient manner.
- Perform assignments in such a manner so as not to interrupt the classroom learning environment.
- Work in a safe manner with personal safety and the safety of others as the number one priority.
- Maintain grounds in a safe condition.
- Account for supplies, materials, and equipment as required.
- Complete records and reports as required in a timely manner.
- Manual physical labor, lifting and moving materials, furniture, equipment and supplies.
- Maintain assigned uniforms, equipment, tools, and shop area in operable, safe, attractive status.
- Maintain facilities security.
- Report any unsafe conditions to the supervisor.
- Complete other tasks as deemed appropriate by the immediate supervisor and/or the superintendent.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Ability to pass employment verification.
- Current driver's license.
- Good health.
- Ability to lift heavy objects and have full use of hands and feet.
- Ability to work well with others and perform tasks with little supervision.
- Ability to operate machinery necessary in this position.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
The work environment varies greatly in the place of work from solitary work to working in school facilities with large numbers of people. Conditions range from working outside in the extreme heat of the summer, to comfortable building, and shop settings, to working outside in very cold wet temperatures. Some work in wet and unsanitary conditions. Emergency calls on sewer stoppages at the noon hour are common. Overtime will be assigned on an as needed basis to take care of emergency situations. Must be able to work within various degrees of noise, temperature and air quality. Interruptions of work are routine. Flexibility and patience are required. Must be self-motivated and able to complete job assignments without direct supervision. Occasional after hours work may be required. Must be able to work under stressful conditions.
- Physical ability to do manual work for 8 hours per day.
- Standing, driving, sitting, bending, stooping, kneeling, lifting, climbing ladders. Lifting from floor to mid thigh maximum (70 pounds) occasionally. Lifting from mid-thigh to shoulder maximum (60 pounds) occasionally. Lifting from shoulder to overhead (40 pounds) occasionally, carrying (70 pounds) maximum occasionally.
- Work overhead, work in tight areas, work off of ladders, and work at floor level (on knees).
- Hand/eye coordination, normal range of sight.
- Any lifting that would require more than 50 pounds of dead weight should be done by at least two people, if at all possible.
- Ability to move furniture.
- Ability to move and operate vacuums, buffers, and other custodial related equipment.
Job Contact Information
Friday, April 26, 2019 12:00 AM
(Central Standard Time)