Bernalillo Public Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Special Education Teacher & Headstart Teacher
at Bernalillo Public Schools
1/2 Time Special Education Teacher at Algodones Elementary
1/2 Time Servicing Early Childhood Headstarts
- Special Education Teacher will be responsible for special education students in a resource room setting or a general education setting to help meet their needs based on their IEP.
- Special Eduction Teacher will facilitate IEP meetings for all students on their IEP case load.
- High needs students may require more care and toileting needs.
- Special Education students will require modifications in their academic assignments.
- Experience working in a school setting with early childhood or elementary special needs or general education students in a classroom setting.
- Required to pass a back ground check
- Required to have a valid Special Education Teachers license with NMPED.
Job Title: SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER
Reports To: BUILDING PRINCIPAL
General Job Description:
At the applicable licensure level, the special education teacher will provide guidance and instructional experiences that are academically and developmentally appropriate for each student assigned to that classroom.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accurately demonstrate knowledge of the content area and approved curriculum.
- Appropriately utilize a variety of teaching methods and resources for each area taught.
- Communicate with and obtain feedback from students in a manner that enhances student learning and understanding.
- Comprehend the principles of student growth, development, and learning, and apply them appropriately.
- Utilize student assessment techniques and procedures.
- Manage the educational setting in a manner that promotes positive student behavior and a safe and healthy environment.
- Recognize student diversity and create an atmosphere conducive to the promotion of positive student involvement and self-concept.
- Demonstrate a willingness to examine and implement change, as appropriate.
- Work productively with colleagues, parents, and community members.
- Meet professional requirements and responsibilities.
- Supervise paraprofessionals assigned to the classroom.
- Complete other tasks as deemed appropriate by the immediate supervisor and/or the superintendent.
- Comply with Ethical Responsibility of the Education Profession Standards of Professional Conduct and Code of Ethics.
- Understand and participate in the development, use, and implementation of individualized education plans (IEP's) and individualized transition plans/504 plans, and implement modifications per IEP/504 in the classroom.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicate accurate and up-to-date information to students in a way that enhances student learning.
- Manage time appropriately.
- Cooperate with administration, parents, and co-workers.
- Create a positive atmosphere and arrange the physical environment of the classroom for optimum learning.
- Prepare for instruction and show written evidence of preparation,
- Take precautions to protect equipment} materials, and facilities.
- Maintain accurate and complete records as required by the school district, and report progress or lack thereof to parents in a timely manner.
- Attend and participate in on-site and district meetings.
- Complete duties (hall, bus, etc.) as assigned.
- Leave adequate preparations for a substitute.
- Develop and implement appropriate classroom management strategies while maintaining high expectations for student behavior.
- Encourage cooperation between students.
- Maintain student involvement in appropriate tasks.
- Use and apply appropriate conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrate public relations skills.
- Use appropriate techniques, strategies, and materials to achieve the desired instructional goal.
- Adapt the curriculum to meet the needs of individual students.
- Use current technology for instruction and management purposes.
- Use data to improve instructional program.
- Be available to parents, students, administration, and peers outside the school day if needed.
- Report suspected child abuse and neglect.
- Be responsible for students on field trips.
Head Start Responsibilities:
- Servicing BPS head start Early Childhood students to include (Bernalillo Head start, San Felipe head start and Santa Anna)
- Working in collaboration with Early Childhood program to ensure that C to B process are in place for students who are transition from C to B.
- Work collaboratively with local agencies with transition process of students to include(Abrazos, PB & J, Nappar, etc)
- Support all BPS PreK staff in IEP process to include scheduling and participating as Early Childhood district representative)
- Work collaboratively with Child Find team to ensure all Required FOCUS screening are met and coordinating community testing with child find team.
- Work collaboratively with PreK administrator on an ongoing basis to ensure all requirements for program fidelity are met.
- Level 3- Special Ed license
- Knowledge of C to B transition Process
- Knowledge of Indicator 12 Competency – Part B Idea Indicators
- Familiarity with Part C agencies
- Familiarity with Local Head Starts
- Competency with Early Childhood determination meetings and components of writing transitional IEPs.
- Familiarity with child -find process and requirements.
- Familiarity with NM Early Learning guidelines.
- Required to pass a background check.
- TESOL or bilingual endorsed preferred
Job Contact Information
Wednesday, October 9, 2019 12:00 AM
(Central Standard Time)