Carlsbad Municipal Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Carlsbad Municipal Schools
Job Reference #: 386
Openings as of 10/22/2019
Student Support Services
- School Psychologist JobID: 386
- Position Type:
Student Support Services
- Date Posted:
Special Education Department
- Conducts psychological assessments, testing and diagnostic examinations of students for the purpose of recommending courses of action or corrective procedures to maximize learning and overcoming psychological issues.
- Conducts individual, group or facilitative therapy for students whose diagnosed problems would benefit from behavior modification or differentiated instruction.
- Assists with the identification and placement of all types of exceptional students.
- Conducts suicide and threat assessments.
- Coordinates with administrators and other teaching staff members to ascertain individual student's abilities and needs, including students with special needs, and to familiarize stakeholders with psychological services.
- Attends IEP meetings as needed for students with special needs.
- Serves as a resource and consultant on mental health and child psychology, conducts in-service programs as requested.
- Assists with the school district's dropout prevention efforts.
- Serves as ready resource to students to provide counseling that will lead each student to increased personal growth, self-understanding, and maturity.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research, and by maintaining professional relationships.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping and providing student information to prospective colleges and employers, as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
- Knowledge of child psychology principles, assessments, methods, behavior modification, etc., and current developments in child psychology.
- Knowledge of differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- Certification/License: Level II, preferred
- State Certification as a School Psychologist.
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Masters Degree in Psychology.
- Ph.D. in School or Clinical Psychology preferred.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Pupil Services, to assist students, teachers and parents in enabling students to derive the fullest potential educational experience from school by promoting positive self esteem and resilience, and providing suggested methods and plans for overcoming psychological or mental health problems.
Essential Performance Responsibilities
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Works in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.