City of Las Cruces
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Street Light Electrician
at City of Las Cruces
- Nature of Work
Repair, maintain, and install street lighting and related systems. Position involves competing demands, performing multiple tasks, working to deadlines, and responding to customer issues. May also involve responding to emergency situations, working extended hours including evenings and weekends, on-call and standby status. Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity of services.
Position functions primarily outdoors with exposure to all weather and traffic conditions, moving vehicles and equipment; electrical hazards, noise, dust, dirt, and pollen; may have exposure to open manholes and street excavations with cave-in potential; safety equipment includes vest, hard hat, face mask, gloves, apron, harness, safety shoes, goggles, and ear protection. Heavy physical effort is required to perform job functions including standing, bending, stooping, and squatting; ability to lift and push items weighing up to eighty (80) pounds and operating equipment weighing up to five hundred (500) pounds. Sufficient clarity of speech, hearing, or other communication capabilities, vision or other powers of observation (distinguish colors), manual dexterity, personal mobility and physical reflexes sufficient to effectively and efficiently perform essential job functions.
Position is subject to drug testing in accordance with applicable State and Federal regulations and City of Las Cruces policy. Release of Information (49 CFR Part 40) required.
FIRST CONSIDERATION WILL BE GIVEN TO CURRENT CITY OF LAS CRUCES EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS.
Meeting or exceeding the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the process.
Full-time; regular; non-exempt; union-represented position
This posting will remain open until filled. Application review will be every two weeks or as needed.
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Installs, repairs, and performs regular maintenance on arterial and residential street lights to ensure adherence with guidelines, standards, practices, and procedures governing the installation and maintenance of street light systems.
- Works with 120/240 volt and 240/480 volt electrical systems in the installation and maintenance of City owned roadway lighting; troubleshoots electrical problems; installs conduit systems to include pulling wires.
- Determines electrical requirements for street light installation and maintenance; obtains estimates for materials and determines amounts needed to procure supplies and materials; assists in maintaining an inventory of street light material.
- Responds to calls regarding malfunctioning or damaged lighting to perform necessary repairs or replacement activities in a timely manner; maintains and provides accurate and timely work records, forms, reports, and logs in various mediums and formats to track and record completion of assignments according to established processes and procedures.
- Performs trouble shooting activities of the lighting system in the field to complete all necessary repairs and/or replacements based on the field test.
- Repairs or replaces conduit and/or wiring during general maintenance to ensure continued functionality; performs general maintenance and repair of street lighting equipment as needed.
- Performs activities related to street lights and other electrical control devices on a 24-hour emergency call status; works with traffic signal crews regarding installation and repairs as needed; performs underground locating activities.
- Sets up traffic control work zones in City right of way in accordance with established policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Responds to and resolves customer complaints within the scope of delegated authority to maintain positive relations with residents.
- Minimum Qualifications
Equivalent to a high school diploma PLUS four (4) years of experience in an electrical trade operating, maintaining, and/or servicing electrical systems is required. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy. Completion of an electrical apprenticeship, or equivalent to an Associate Degree in Electronic Technology, or related field, may be preferred.
Valid driver's license is required. Position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with City of Las Cruces policies. Journeyman Electrician license (JE-98) required; Class B commercial driver's license and International Municipal Signal Association (IMSA) Certification in Work Zone must be obtained within twelve (12) months of date of hire.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of: methods and practices for the installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of wiring, electrical devices, and related systems; occupational and environmental safety and health hazards, and safety practices; safe and effective use and maintenance of related tools, materials, instruments, and equipment; traffic control and safety requirements; construction techniques pertaining to street lighting; Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices; National Electrical Code; record keeping practices; methods and standards for preparing business correspondence; mathematical aptitude; business and personal computers, and applicable software applications; effective customer service and problem resolution techniques; City organization, operations, policies, and procedures to effectively perform the required functions and duties of the position.
Ability to: perform a variety of duties and responsibilities timely and with accuracy to meet deadlines and ensure achievement of goals and objectives; read, understand, and ensure compliance with a variety of specifications, schematics, diagrams, standards, policies, procedures, rules, and regulations governing related activities, programs, and functions; read, understand, interpret, and communicate technical specifications and standards; compile applicable information, prepare reports in various mediums and formats, and maintain accurate and timely records; safely and effectively operate and maintain associated tools, equipment, and motor vehicles; navigate across even and uneven surfaces; understand, provide, and follow oral and written instructions; communicate appropriately and effectively orally and in writing; use sound judgment in decision-making with limited supervision in daily operations and during malfunctions or other emergencies; operate a two-way communication device to communicate with other employees and supervisors; establish and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships with employees and the public; use initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines to successfully meet established goals and objectives.
Skills in: effectively using, operating, and maintaining relevant tools and equipment; analyzing issues, evaluating alternatives, and making logical recommendations based on findings to address issues and make recommendations to improve procedures, policies, and methods; reading and communicating policies, regulations, and technical procedures and information; performing various required mathematical calculations; reviewing, evaluating, and verifying relevant records, technical information, calculations, and documentation; maintaining complete and accurate records; operating tools and equipment and a personal computer with installed generic and specialized software; assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands; interpreting technical instructions and analyzing complex variables.