County of Bernalillo
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at County of Bernalillo
- Position Summary & Duties Responsible
Under supervision of the Aquatic Program Manager and/or Pool Manager, oversee the safe operation of county pool facilities and safety of all individuals using the county pool facilities.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES SUMMARY
- Assist in the regular monitoring of pool water chemicals and make required chemical adjustments to maintain safe balance in water.
- Assist with the collection, delivery and transfer of monies collected at the pools to the County's assigned bank.
- Drain, clean, and refill filter pit, adjust valves and perform other weekly equipment maintenance to ensure cleanliness and safety of pool water and surrounding facilities.
- Assist with the supervision of lifeguards, monitor activities in swimming areas to prevent accidents, and maintain order; rescue swimmers in danger of drowning and administer first aid.
- Inspect facility and equipment for cleanliness daily; may clean and refill pool.
- Assist with the coordination, planning and instruction of county sponsored swim programs.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Maintain accurate precise, operating and pool chemical logs.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED and certification in Red Cross Lifeguard Training, CPR, Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) and First Aid for a minimum of one year.
- Employee have a valid New Mexico driver's license by employment date and maintain a valid NM driver's license while employed in this position.
- Must have knowledge and skills in the application of swimming and lifesaving practices and techniques and first aid.
- Must have knowledge of basic swimming pool chemistry and experience in maintaining pool water at specific State and County environmental health standards.
- Must have the ability to instruct in swimming and safety and to recognize and correct unsafe activities.
- Must have the ability to manage a pool facility and to supervise other lifeguards.
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with the public, management, and co-workers.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively with various age groups and the public at large.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written English.
- Supplemental Information
SCREENING AND COMPLIANCE
The offer of this Bernalillo County position requires compliance with the following:
- Employee must successfully complete the post-offer employment medical examination and background investigation.
- Employee must comply with the safety guidelines of the County.
- Any required certification must remain current during employment with Bernalillo County.
- Employee is outdoors 75% of time when assigned to outdoor pool; employee is outdoors 25% of time when assigned to inside pool.
- Indoor duties are performed in a temperature-controlled environment; however, worker is exposed to wet cement and mat surfaces while working. Outdoor surfaces include concrete, asphalt, ramps, stairs, wood decks, and ladder chairs.
- Work hazards or potential work hazards include the exposure to dangerous emergency situations involving rescue, hazardous chemicals, and possible exposure to bodily fluids from persons with life-threatening diseases.
- Flexible work hours may be required.
- Employee handles writing utensils, various paperwork, files and reports in the documentation of statistical reports, daily pool chemistry logs, daily bank deposits, and ordinary office record keeping.
- Employee handles hazardous materials (possible cancer causing particles), to include chlorine gas, chlorine bleach, hydrochloric acid, sodium bisulfate, sodium thiosulfate, carbon dioxide gas, sodium bicarbonate, calcium chloride, muriatic acid, calcium hypochlorite, and other such pool chemicals.
- Employee utilizes a filter mask when handling some hazardous chemicals.
COUNTY OF BERNALILLO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER