County of Bernalillo
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at County of Bernalillo
- Position Summary & Duties Responsible
Under general direction of the nurse manager perform a variety of professional nursing duties at the Youth Services Centers and Community Mental Health Clinic.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for medical screening of all incoming residents.
- Schedule and perform daily sick-call for juvenile residents.
- Administer prescribed medications and treatments according to approved nursing techniques and physician's orders.
- Maintain and update appropriate databases to document pharmaceutical and laboratory protocol, clinic and other health maintenance records.
- Monitor and report medical medications to assure compliance with federal, state and/or other applicable guidelines.
- Keep medication and other health-related records.
- Represent the County as an expert witness in court cases.
- Advise staff on medical condition and/or special dietary requirements of residents.
- Provide first-aid and medical care in case of emergency.
- Determine when to call physician and assist physician with examinations of patients.
- Draw blood and perform smear and culture examinations for tests.
- Assist staff with telephone triage at both facilities.
*The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of all employees assigned to this job.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing and licensed by the State of New Mexico as a registered nurse.
- Knowledge of professional nursing principles and practices relating to adolescent growth and development; psychiatric nursing skills/practices and techniques of detection of communicable disease.
- Ability to instruct residents on personal health and safety issues.
- Ability to carry out complex oral and written instructions to include establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with residents, the public, management, and co-workers.
- Ability to prepare accurate, concise, complete, and informative written reports, and to make effective presentations to small or large groups.
- Ability to communicate in English, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to make critical decisions regarding the physical conditions of new residents.
- Knowledge of community health services and social services support agencies and networks.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to organize, coordinate and prioritize workload, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Skilled in computer use, including preparation of spreadsheets and databases.
- Supplemental Information
Screening and Compliance
The offer of this Bernalillo County position requires compliance with the following:
- Employee must successfully complete the County's post-offer medical examination.
- Employee must comply with the County's safety guidelines.
- Employee must pass a background investigation.
- Must have a current certification in CPR.
- Employee must possess and maintain a valid New Mexico driver's license.
- All work is performed indoors in a temperature-controlled environment.
- Duties are performed on an even, usually dry surface, which may be concrete, tile or carpet.
- Work hazards include handling of medical wastes, cultured-slide products, blood or body wastes, and/or pathogenic materials; possibility of personal injury from violent residents.
- Duties are performed in a locked facility.
- Employee may be required to do shift work.
- Employee must be able to work at different facilities.
Equipment, Tools and Materials
- Utilizes diagnostic and medical laboratory equipment in performance of duties, such as stethoscope, ophthalmoscope, otoscope, microscope, centrifuge, incubator and sterilization equipment; rubber gloves, radio, and keys required to function in a locked facility.
- Materials and products handled include various medications and medical supplies, medical forms and office supplies.