County of Bernalillo
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Traffic Technician III
at County of Bernalillo
- Position Summary & Duties Responsible
Under an assigned supervisor, clean graffiti, install, manufacture, and place traffic control devices, maintain traffic sign inventory, inspection pavement markings and assist in conducting traffic control studies. Ensure compliance of barricade ordinance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform barricading inspection within the unincorporated areas of Bernalillo County. Ensure and enforce appropriate traffic safety controls are set up and are in compliance with barricade ordinance.
- Maintain traffic sign inventory and perform traffic sign inspections on a regular basis.
- Install permanent and temporary traffic control signage and permanent and temporary pavement markings, place barricades and assist in manufacturing of traffic control signage.
- Identify and report hazardous traffic control conditions to the Traffic Control Administrator/Engineer with recommendations for corrective action.
- Assist in collecting data for traffic engineering studies.
- Determine and ensure proper placement of traffic signs and include line spotting responsible operations.
- Maintain signs and equipment in the department.
- Clean graffiti from traffic control signage on County roads.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED, plus three (3) years of responsible work experience, two (2) years experience must have been as a Traffic Technician II or equivalent.
- Certification from American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA) as a Traffic Control Technician (TCT) and Traffic Control Supervisor (TCS) course OR International Municipal Sign Association (IMSA) Work Zone Traffic Control I and Signs & Markings Level I.
- Must have a valid New Mexico driver's license by employment date and maintain a valid NM driver's license while employed in this position.
- Supplemental Information
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSA'S)
- Knowledge of the Standard Highway Signs handbook and Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD).
- Knowledge of traffic engineering concepts; federal, state, and local traffic laws; sign manufacturing process; procedures; for sign installations.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written English, in-person and utilizing telephone.
- Ability to use a retroreflectometer.
- Ability to perform simple mathematical computations.
- Ability to clean graffiti from traffic control signage on County roads.
- Ability to perform traffic sign inspection and sign inventory on a daily basis in assigned areas.
- Ability to manufacture and install signs.
- Ability to interact professionally with the public and other co-workers.
- Ability to develop productive working relationships with supervisors and other employees.
The offer of this Bernalillo County position requires compliance with the following:
- Employee must successfully complete the post-offer employment medical examination and background investigation.
- Employee must comply with the safety guidelines of the County.
- Duties are primarily performed outdoors, estimated at 80%.
- Indoor duties are performed in a temperature controlled environment.
- Outdoor surfaces include natural ground, concrete, asphalt, ramps, stairs, and bridges.
- Work hazards or potential work hazards include the exposure to dangerous situations involving traffic, adverse weather conditions, and possible exposure to electrical hazards.
- Worker is exposed to dust, snow, wind, possible lightening and extreme cold.
- Worker is exposed to vibrations when operating the pion jar.
- Worker is exposed to fumes/odors from the use of paints and adhesives.
- Work hazards include the climbing of ladders, high bridges and working in traffic.
- Worker is exposed to paint thinner, wasp killer spray, mace, ant killer granules, gasoline, graffiti remover, diesel, carburetor cleaner, degreaser, industrial mastic, spray paints, heat application units.
- Worker uses a wide variety of hand tools and power tools in the performance of duties.
- Employee operates pion jar unit, chain saws, drill press, grinders, saw, concrete cutter, pole straightener, air compressor, welder, cutting torch, radar gun, computer operated sign cutter, heat applicator unit, electric shears, cordless drill, post-hole digger, augers, weed cutter.
COUNTY OF BERNALILLO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER