City of Hobbs
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
PARKS MAINT WORKER
at City of Hobbs
Installs, repairs, and maintains turf for parks, cemeteries, and tree lines citywide. Performs duties such as mowing, weed eating, edging, seeding, fertilizing, laying sod, aerating, and applying pesticides and herbicides.
- Essential Duties
- Picks up trash barrels and litter from all city parks. Cleans park bathrooms and replenishes supplies.
- Assembles, repairs, replaces, and maintains park equipment as needed including the removal of graffiti.
- Assists in the construction of new park facilities, including clearing, grading, drainage, plantings and foundation work.
- Operates trucks, and tractors of various sizes and weight in loading hauling and unloading of various equipment and supplies.
- Performs routine repairs and maintenance for assigned vehicles and equipment.
- Completes checklists for any vehicles utilized.
- Operates mowers, weed eaters, edgers, blowers, chippers, spreaders, hand tools, pneumatic tools, steam cleaners, sprayers, sod cutters, cement mixers and other equipment as needed.
- Operates heavy equipment such as a sandblaster, man lift, jackhammer, welder, bobcat front-end loader, tractor, compactor and occasionally a polecat or an aerial bucket truck.
- Conducts visual inspections of turf and trees to determine corrective action necessary to alleviate any problems.
- During inclement weather, shovels snow and lays salt on sidewalks as needed.
- Posts the reservations of park permits.
- Assist in preparing, setting up and taking down equipment for various park and recreation programs or special events.
- Assists other departments with laying cement and cement repair, brick laying, basic plumbing, landscaping, remodeling parks restrooms and setting up barricades.
- Assists in decorating of city streets and public buildings for holiday seasons.
- Minimum Qualifications
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from high school or High School Equivalent (HSE) preferred. One year of experience in grounds maintenance and landscaping work, with some experience in general facilities maintenance preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of equipment, materials and supplies used in turf irrigation maintenance and landscaping, construction and maintenance of parks, grounds, and related facilities.
- Working knowledge of basic water hydraulics, turf, soil and tree water requirements.
- Knowledge of pesticides/herbicide sprays used in the control of common insects, rodents and weeds.
- Basic knowledge of carpentry, concrete, and painting practices.
- Ability to understand basic dynamics of landscape irrigation systems.
- Ability to work at heights greater than 15 feet utilizing aerial bucket truck or polecat.
- Ability to learn and identify common landscape plants and pests.
- Ability to work independently and to complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Parks, Recreation, & Community Affairs personnel, Street maintenance personnel, and general public.
LICENSING AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Valid state issued driver's license.
- Ability to obtain and maintain New Mexico Department of Agriculture Pesticide Applicator's License.
- Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear, and reach with hands and arms from a standing position. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, kneel and use hands and fingers to handle feel or operate objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, crouch or crawl.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and /or move up to 100 pounds or more. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and equipment and outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is frequently exposed to adverse weather conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to blood borne pathogens, risk of electrical shock, stinging insects and scorpions, snakebites, and varmints.