New Mexico School for the Deaf
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Facilities Maintenance II
at New Mexico School for the Deaf
To serve the students and staff with campus in an atmosphere of efficiency, cleanliness and warmth while helping to advance the mission and vision of New Mexico School for the Deaf. Typical duties and responsibilities include performing a wide variety of duties normally associated with plumbing, carpentry, electrical, cement finishing, locksmith, masonry, metal work, appliance repair, painting, plastering, roofing, sheet metal work and welding. Also, landscaping, grounds work, transporting trash, etc. To the dump; shoveling or mechanically removing snow from driveways, walkways, steps to boiler rooms and entrances to buildings and as necessary, sanding/salting slippery areas to prevent accidents; Reporting early on weekdays & weekends to ensure sidewalks and driveways are cleared; Setting up tables, chairs, tents for events; rodent control, collect and take recyclable material, keep playgrounds clean and safe. Also, keeping campus environment friendly, safe and clean. It is anticipated and expected that all functions of this position will be performed in a positive and receptive manner, while helping to advance the mission and vision of New Mexico School for the Deaf.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (Other duties may be assigned, such as but not limited to, campus Security and Safety, duties as required).
• Typical duties and responsibilities include preventative maintenance and performing skilled and semi-skilled maintenance work in craft areas including plumbing, carpentry, electrical, cement finishing, locksmith, masonry, metal work, appliance repair, painting, plastering, roofing, sheet metal work and welding.
• Required to help remove snow and ice from sidewalks and parking lots as needed.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Organization- Must be organized and detail-oriented.
• Analytical- collects and aggregates data for program maintenance and improvement.
• Continuous Learning- Seeks feedback to improve performance; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
• Job Knowledge- Competent in required job skills and knowledge; exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; uses resources effectively.
• Use of Technology- Adapts to new technologies; troubleshoots technological problems; uses technology to increase productivity.
• Problem Solving- Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works in group problem solving situations.
• Cooperation- Establishes and maintains effective relations; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support to co-workers; works cooperatively in group situations; works actively to resolve conflicts.
• Teamwork- Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
• Written Communication- Writes clearly and informatively; varies writing style to meet needs.
• State and Federal IDEA Compliance- exhibits knowledge of and adherence to all legal requirements related to early intervention.
• Diversity- Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; builds a diverse workforce.
• Ethics- Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organization values.
• Organizational Support- Follows policies and procedures; completes tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values.
• Adaptability- Manages competing demands.
• Personal Appearance- Dresses appropriately for position; keeps self well groomed.
• Attendance/Punctuality- Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent.
• Dependability- Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions.
• Initiative- Seeks increased responsibilities; asks for and offers help when needed.
• Quality- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
• Safety and Security- Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma with a minimum of five (5) years progressive Maintenance or Landscaping and Grounds Work experience required. Must demonstrate understanding of automated controls and familiarity with cooling towers and a central plant for heating and cooling. Must have experience performing skilled and semi-skilled maintenance work in craft areas, including plumbing, carpentry, electrical, cement finishing, locksmith, masonry, metal work, appliance repair, painting, plastering, roofing, sheet metal work and welding.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Must be able to understand and follow oral and written instructions, read, interpret and work from sketches, diagrams and blueprints, and make cost estimates of time and materials.
Sign Language: The applicant does not need to have sign language skills at hire but will be required to participate in sign language classes offered at NMSD. Preferred hire who are willing to learn American Sign Language.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands, arms and fingers to feel and reach as necessary. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to lift over 50 lbs.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Ability to work independently and cooperatively. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; extreme cold and extreme heat.
Job Contact Information
Tuesday, September 25, 2018 12:00 AM
(Central Standard Time)