New Mexico School for the Deaf
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Facilities Maintenance – Lead Groundskeeper
at New Mexico School for the Deaf
The Lead Groundskeeper is responsible for the cleanliness and upkeep of the NMSD campus grounds and provides work direction from the Facilities manager to grounds keeping staff. Typical duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to: the maintenance and coordination of work and upkeep of campus grounds; Mowing lawns; trimming edges around driveways and walkways; maintaining flower beds and walls; pulling weeds; hedging shrubs; pruning shrubs and trees; raking leaves; cleaning or sweeping litter; watering lawns, shrubs, trees and flowers; planting and transplanting flowers; turning soil; fertilizing lawns, plants and trees; cleaning/sweeping litter and transporting trash, etc. to the dump; shoveling or mechanically removing snow from driveways, walkways, steps to boiler rooms and entrances to buildings; as necessary, sanding/salting slippery areas to prevent accidents; Reporting early on weekdays or on weekends to make sure sidewalks and driveways are cleared; Setting up tables, chairs, tents for events; rodent control; collect and take recyclable material; keep playgrounds clean and safe. The incumbent interacts positively with members and staff and responds to requests personally or informs the appropriate maintenance staff member. It is anticipated and expected that all functions of this position will be performed in a positive and receptive manner, while helping to advance the mission and vision of New Mexico School for the Deaf. The Lead Groundskeeper also serves as a role model for students by displaying a professional, courteous, and helpful nature.
Responsibilities: Carries out or assigns work as determined necessary by the Facilities Manager and in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include planning, assigning, and directing work as instructed by the facilities manager
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (Other duties may be assigned, such as but not limited to, campus Security and Safety, duties as required).
Under the supervision of the Facilities Manager, directs, coordinates, assign all subordinate department employee work and or perform work as necessary to ensure the successful completion of the;
- General Performance of: Landscaping and grounds; Site plumbing; cement finishing; gardening; painting; pest control; plastering; roofing; sheet metal work; welding; floor refinishing, the general maintenance/upkeep of campus grounds.
- Responsible for maintaining the Maintenance Department inventory system and ensuring that all tools and supplies are correctly labeled, stored, and inventoried.
- Works under the supervision and direction of the Facilities Manager and in conjunction with the Facilities Maintenance – Buildings Systems Supervisor. Implements and follows the Preventative Maintenance Plan, (PMP), directs and utilizes School dude and other software as directed to daily monitor assign and schedule grounds keeping, clean up, set up and repairs as directed by Facilities Manager.
- Focus on - Mowing; trimming edges in driveways/walkways, flower beds, walls; pulling weeds; hedging shrubs; pruning shrubs, trees; raking leaves; cleaning/sweeping litter; watering lawns, shrubs, trees, flowers; planting and transplanting flowers; turning soil; fertilizing lawns, plants and trees;
- Transporting trash, etc. to the dump. Shoveling or mechanically removing snow from driveways, walkways, steps to boiler rooms and entrances to buildings and as necessary, sanding/salting slippery areas to prevent accidents; Reporting early on weekdays & weekends to ensure sidewalk and driveways are cleared; Setting up tables, chairs, tents for events; rodent control, collect and take recyclable material, keep playgrounds clean and safe.
- Removal of snow and ice from campus sidewalks and parking lots as needed.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Job Knowledge - Competent in required job skills and knowledge; exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; uses resources effectively.
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures. Continuous Learning - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback to improve performance; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Planning/Organizations - Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks. Must be organized and detail-oriented. Must be able to complete work within deadlines. Must be able to plan and carry out plans/units efficiently, utilizing the entire tasks.
- Continuous Learning - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback to improve performance; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Managing People - Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; makes self-available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Performance Coaching - Defines responsibilities and expectations; sets goals and objectives; gives performance feedback; motivates for increased results; recognizes contributions; encourages training and development.
- Recruitment & Staffing - Utilizes recruitment sources; presents positive, realistic view of the organization; analyzes and forecasts staffing needs.
- Team Leadership - Fosters team cooperation; acknowledges team accomplishments.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; conserves organizational resources.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent;
- Cooperation - Establishes and maintains effective relations; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support to co-workers; works cooperatively in group situations; works actively to resolve conflicts.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- Judgment - Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
- Achievement Focus - Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
- Conflict Resolution - Confronts difficult situations; maintains objectivity; keeps emotions under control.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Delegation - Delegates work assignments; matches the responsibility to the person; sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Compassion – Demonstrates a general knowledge of the history and significance of Deaf and other minority communities in New Mexico.
- Personal Appearance - Dresses appropriately for position; keeps self well groomed; is mindful of visual needs when selecting clothing/accessories.
- Cultural Sensitivity – Demonstrates an understanding for diverse family dynamics, eye contact conventions, and gender roles in various cultures and how these cultural differences potentially might influence a communicated message.
- Humility – Demonstrates an openness to learning; never assumes her/his expertise excludes her/him from having to learn about other cultures.
- Multiculturalism – Possesses general knowledge about Deaf education and attitudes toward Deafness; Demonstrates an ability to apply American cultural values to business norms, such as punctuality and conciseness in communication, and apply Deaf cultural values to interpreting and other interactions, via attitude and demonstration of consideration and respect.
- Diversity - Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; incorporates multi-cultural viewpoints into instruction and materials.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values.
- Language – Possesses adeptness in working across a wide range of registers, genres, and variations of English and ASL; demonstrates flexibility, using language free of regionalisms when interpreting for a consumer who does not share the same variety of English or ASL; Demonstrates ability to identify English-speaking and Deaf consumers’ language use and accommodate with appropriate target language form.
- Communications/ Written Communications - Exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; participates in meetings. Writes clearly and informatively; varies writing style to meet needs. Ensures that communication with clearly presented and grammatically correct.
- Visionary Leadership/ Leadership - Displays passion and optimism; inspires respect and trust. Inspires and motivates others to perform well; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Problem Solving - Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; works well with supervisors and other specialists.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; identifies external threats and opportunities; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Achievement Focus - Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
- Quality/ Quantity - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality. Completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Project Management – Completes projects on time.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values.
- Customer Service - Responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Use of Technology - Adapts to new technologies; troubleshoots technological problems; uses technology to increase productivity; utilizes technology and software to enhance learning.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly; manages area environment for safety and security.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and /or Experiences: Horticulture degree or equivalent work experience in landscaping and grounds, sprinkler, and irrigation systems and basic building preventative and maintenance repairs.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registration: or equivalent work experience in Irrigation, and landscaping.
- Language Skills: Ability to present to an audience.
- Sign Language: Required to participate in NMSD ASL classes to increase fluencyand become receptive and expressive in American Sign Language and basic written English skills. (Fluency in Spanish is desirable).
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have working knowledge of SchoolDude, Microsoft Windows, Excel, as well as various software packages including Microsoft Office.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to think independently, problem solve and work with the whole team. Ability and commitment to represent the Vision, Mission and Beliefs of NMSD as both a school and an agency.
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally required to drive for long periods of time; stand; walk and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and peripheral vision.
- Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Job Contact Information
Thursday, August 29, 2019 12:00 AM
(Central Standard Time)