Pueblo of Laguna
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Pueblo of Laguna
Pay: $57,771 to $86,657/year
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2019-40a
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Represents the Pueblo of Laguna as plaintiff in Pueblo Court actions to prosecute and enforce penalties for violations of the Pueblo’s laws, codes and/or ordinances assigned by the Court Prosecutor.
- Conducts research, interviews clients and witnesses; develops strategy, arguments and testimony in preparation for presentation of case and in preparation for trial; and prosecutes Pueblo Court trials of cases as assigned in consultation with Court Prosecutor.
- Prepares witnesses for depositions and trial.
- Prepares pleadings, motions, legal briefs, orders and appellate documents.
- Assists law enforcement in obtaining search warrants, arrest warrants, subpoenas, and in making charging decisions by providing sound legal guidance.
- Works with applicable service providers (Probation, Social Services, Behavioral Health) to determine appropriate recommendations for sentences, referrals and other related services.
- Utilizes a plea bargain process to protect the interests of both the Pueblo and victims of crime. Ensures a balanced criminal justice system.
- Collaborates with the Victim Witness Advocate in assigned cases and in implementing victim action programs and projects.
- Ensures the effective and fair enforcement of the Pueblo codes. Recommends amendments of Pueblo law to Court Prosecutor where appropriate.
- Assists Court Prosecutor in the development of and securing funding for diversion programs for offenders of Pueblo law.
- Participates on teams and committees as directed.
- Assists in the development and refinement of the Pueblo’s crime prevention and intervention initiatives.
- Provides community outreach and education services.
- In collaboration with Village Officials, utilizes the Pueblo’s customary based approach to resolve issues when appropriate and/or necessary.
- Maintains all appropriate documentation as required; ensures the confidentiality of client information.
- Develops and maintains relationships with entities of common interest, including the U.S. Attorney’s Office, F.B.I., B.I.A., and other internal and external programs.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by conducting research; reviewing case histories and rulings; attending relevant training and conferences; and establishing networks with similar programs.
- Complies with requirements and standards of conduct applicable to licensure and profession.
- Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
Skill / Requirements
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school required.
- Two years of progressively responsible experience in the practice of law required.
- Member in good standing with the New Mexico State Bar required.
- Fluency in the Laguna language preferred.
LAGUNA TRIBAL MEMBER PREFERENCE APPLIES
Send the official Pueblo of Laguna application to email@example.com