Gallup Mckinley County Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
ATHLETIC TRAINER - SECONDARY
at Gallup Mckinley County Schools
Position: Athletic Trainer
General Job Description: To provide athletic training services for GMCS High School athletic teams.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities - Essential duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Be responsible for prevention, emergency care, first aid, evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation of injuries to GMCS High School athletes.
- Serve as a liaison between the athlete’s medical care provider, the athlete, the athlete’s parents, and coaching staff.
- Serve as a consultant to the coaching staff on conditioning, nutrition, injury prevention, and protective equipment.
- Assist with the prevention of injuries including education for athletes, coaches, and athletic training students, identifying factors that put athletes at risk, correcting deficiencies in athletes as deemed necessary, and utilizing treatments, taping and bracing as needed.
- Provide emergency care, CPR and AED use, and first aid including availability of necessary equipment, communication procedures for emergency situations including development of Emergency Action Plans for all home venues.
- Evaluate acute and chronic injuries and refer the athlete to a medical care provider when appropriate. Determine if an athlete may return to practice and/or competition in the absence of a medical provider’s release following an injury.
- Treat athletic injuries with appropriate procedures and modalities within the scope of practice as outlined in the New Mexico Athletic Trainers Practice Act.
- Develop, supervise, evaluate and modify individual exercise programs for rehabilitation of athletic injuries to help athletes return to pre-injury status.
- Maintain records including pre-participation physicals and required paperwork, injury reports, referrals, treatment records and rehabilitation progress notes.
- Secure athletic training room equipment and supplies as needed.
- Provide supervision for athletic training students.
- Provide athletic training services for team practices.
- Provide athletic training services for home sporting events as scheduled with the athletic director including travel to all away games, travel as available to other teams, and travel to district and state championship competitions.
- Make the athletic training room facilities and medical attention available to freshman and junior high school athletes with arrangements made by the coach or parent and the athletic trainer.
- Complete other tasks as deemed appropriate by the immediate supervisor and/or the superintendent.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage time appropriately
- Knowledge, training, and certification in first aid, CPR, AID should be required for handling athletic related injuries
- Properly operate available modalities and athletic training and medical supplies used for prevention, treatment and rehabilitation of athletic injuries
- Report progress or lack thereof to parents in a timely manner
- Attend and participate in faculty, professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops.
- Complete duties (hall, bus, etc.) as assigned
- Take precautions to protect equipment, materials, and facilities
- Actively and appropriately participates and collaborates in school teams/committees
- Support district initiatives
- Demonstrate public relations skills
- Use and apply appropriate conflict resolution skills
- Be available to parents, students, administration and peers outside the school day
- Attend and sponsor extracurricular activities
- Report suspected child abuse and neglect
- Complete Safe Schools training as directed by the District.
- Be responsible for students on trips
- Act as a good role model within the context of the school
- Follow district and school procedures
- Accept other responsibilities as deemed necessary by the principal
Qualifications: A BA degree, valid New Mexico teaching license with endorsements as needed. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
Physical Requirements: Ability to perform the job and access the environment for which you are hired. The following may be required: Sitting, standing, lifting, moving about the room or school, carrying (up to 50 pounds), reaching, squatting, kneeling, prolonged typing, physical ability to type on a keyboard terminal, and moving light furniture.
Equipment/Technology Handled: Must know how to properly operate or be willing to learn to operate all multimedia equipment including current technology.
Work Environment: Must be able to work within various degrees of noise, temperature, and air quality. Interruptions of work are routine. Flexibility and patience are required. Must be self-motivated and able to complete job assignment without direct supervision. After hour work may be required.
Terms of Employment: Salary and work calendar established yearly by the district.
All GMCS schools are eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF).
All applicants must upload copies of official transcripts or evaluations of foreign transcripts from any and all accredited colleges/universities attended by you for review in order to be considered for this position.
Three letters of reference written within the last twelve months (one must be from current supervisor. (If this is not appropriate due to one’s employment status, please contact GMCS Personnel Office 505-721-1000).
Job Contact Information
Monday, August 5, 2019 12:00 AM
(Central Standard Time)