Santa Fe Public Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
2019-2020 SY - Junior Accountant
at Santa Fe Public Schools
Openings as of 10/18/2019
- 2019-2020 SY - Junior Accountant JobID: 3538
- Position Type:
Central Office/Construction Management
- Date Posted:
General Services General Function:
- Knowledge of government fund accounting or public school finance.
- Knowledge of Microsoft standard office software, including word processing and Excel.
- Knowledge of grant and fund accounting. .
- Good written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to multi-task. Organizational skills.
- Ability to determine appropriateness of expenditures.
- Able to manage work to meet critical deadlines and provide support to other departments.
- Ability to work well with a wide range of individuals and groups both internal and external to the organization.
- Preferred: Knowledge of District’s data system (Visions), Santa Fe Public Schools Business Office Procedures, and Santa Fe Public Schools Board Policies.
- Verifies budget availability and appropriate use of expenditure for the following transactions: requisitions; out-of-district and out-of-state travel requests; grant request forms and purchase service contracts.
- Researches and solves problems. Resolves questions about requisitions, contracts, and procurement. Provides information over phone on budget line items, transaction details, outstanding requisitions and encumbrances, which affect budget availability. Approves daily requisition “walk-thru” requests to verify budget availability.
- Assists with all district Request for Reimbursements (RFRs) and tracks available funding and related deadlines and expiration dates.
- Prepares and posts adjusting journal entries. Reviews logs and memos from Human Resources, sites and departments to determine the correctness or need for adjusting journal entries. Prepares entries and supporting documents, obtains approval, posts to systems, prepares cash transfer form, and files adjustment.
- Generates site and department reports monthly and on request.
- Attends internal staff meetings as well as any related to job duties.
- Assists with other funds as needed and/or requested.
- Enters approved budgets into District’s data system.
- Prepares analysis reports as requested.
- Prepares for annual audit, responds to questions and collects additional data when requested.
- Meets and communicates financial status of budget and expenditures with program directors, superintendents, principals, teachers, staff, state, federal and private grantees
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Demonstrates reliability as evidenced by attendance records and punctuality.
- Properly notifies supervisor and/or designee of absences or tardiness.
- Begins and completes work within the allotted time.
- Consistently appears in attire appropriate to the work environment.
- Demonstrates skill in the use of equipment including its capabilities, limitations and appropriate/ special application.
- Protects the District’s resources through appropriate and careful use of supplies and equipment.
- Utilizes appropriate body mechanics to aid in the prevention of muscle strain/injury.
Responsible for overseeing procurement, contracts, requisitions, purchase orders, invoicing, and budget reconciliation for the Facilities & Maintenance Department and Construction. Will work closely with director and project managers on proper SFPS procedures and policies and will provide reports as requested. Will review proposals, contracts, and RFPS. Will manage the chart of accounts for the funds under their direct supervision and add additional accounting strings as necessary. Will provide periodic reports to director and project managers. Will prepare contracts and necessary documents for Superintendent & Board of Education approval.
Will process all requisitions for contractors, equipment, and supplies related to funds under his/her supervision and will accept, reject or edit as necessary.
Accountant will assist the department with collection of material necessary for department, district, and state reporting. Will collect all necessary back-up, review for appropriateness and report any issues or inconsistencies in department budget.
Minimum: Education and Experience:
Associates or Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration and three (3) years general accounting or financial experience.
An advanced degree; governmental fund accounting, public school finance and/or public sector capital funds management experience; proven ability to own, lead, and manage a critical function.
Knowledge/Skills and Abilities:
Resources Used in Performing Job Include (but are not limited to):
Typical office equipment, computers and accounting software.
Working at desk, computer. Walk between offices and administrative areas. Typical office environment.
Occasional site visits to program directors and state offices. Close vision, distance vision, depth
perception and the ability to adjust focus. Ability to (but not limited to) climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach horizontally and lift up to 25 pounds.
Generally works inside but on occasion may have may have to drive from site to site. When visiting a building, the noise level may be loud; in the office, quiet and at meetings moderate. Frequent telephone calls and interruptions.
Essential Job Functions:
All functions are performed in accordance with established policies, procedures, safety and environmental regulations, facility and computer security policies and procedures. Functions are subject to change from time to time to meet the needs of the District. Current essential functions include but are not limited to the following: