Santa Fe Public Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
2019-2020 SY : School Nurse
at Santa Fe Public Schools
Openings as of 10/17/2019
- 2019-2020 SY : School Nurse JobID: 3190
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
Sweeney Elementary School
Ensures comprehensive delivery of health services to students. Provides age appropriate, culturally sensitive care in a safe environment; educates parents and staff about healthy practices and treatment conditions; assures and coordinates continuity of care among several settings and care givers; monitors and manages medical information in a timely manner; communicates effectively in school and community settings with students, staff, parents and care providers.
Knowledge of nursing process and theory, standard nursing practices and procedures, immunization requirements, communicable disease prevention and control, HIPAA/FERPA regulations, screening methods related to vision, hearing and dental health, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Knowledge of SFPS district policies and procedures as they apply to Health Services, Special Education process (IEP & 504), classroom-teaching methods. Knowledge of state and federal guidelines that effect student access to healthcare. Use of audiometer, otoscope, electronic sphygmomanometer, electronic thermometer, computerized record keeping, vision screening equipment, and other medical equipment necessary for the individual student. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with students, family, staff, community agencies and health care providers. Flexibility, organization, decision-making and problem solving skills. Interpersonal skills with work with diverse populations both in person and on the telephone. Ability to meet deadlines and submit reports in a timely manner.
• Implements health policies and procedures of the local district and state health agencies.
• Identifies health problems through screening procedures, assessment and evaluation of the student.
• Makes appropriate referrals based on data obtained from screening procedures.
• Makes home visits when need arises.
• Maintains student health and immunization records and appropriate follow-up.
• Provides emergency care and first aid for all students and employees.
• Authorizes exclusion and re-admission of students in connection with infectious and contagious diseases.
• Serves as a consultant and resource person to staff, parents, and medically fragile students in identify community resources.
• Advises teachers and consults with parents on health matters, particularly regarding screening for student health concerns.
• Serves on and/or attends committee meetings and conferences regarding health services and curriculum.
• Serves on SST, IEP and 504 meetings when the student has a health condition that effects his/her ability to learn.
• Participates in In-service training programs, workshops, and continuing education to maintain professional status.
• Serves as a consultant in matters of school health, safety, health education and sanitary conditions.
• Assists Principal and Lead Nurse in performance of any other health related assignments.
• Must be available to respond to emergencies at other SFPS campuses.
• Assists in supervising, training, and delegating assignment, medication administration, and procedures to Medically Fragile Health Assistants.
• Develops and implements individual health care plans.
• Manages and oversees the implementation of the District medication policy.
• Reviews, administers, and documents immunizations as deemed appropriate for student health. Is available for immunization clinics.
• Attends all mandatory in-services,
• Participates in the ongoing operation of School based health centers and acts as a leader when appropriate.
• Assists in preparation and administering health services budget, seeks opportunities to apply for outside services of funding for the school heal service program at district and campus levels.
• Assumes leadership in the establishment of a school health service advisory committee with representation from such groups as school administration, faculty, students, parents, and community providers.
• Develops and implements research projects to attain pertinent health information.
• Develops and implements program as need dictates. Using nursing process provides goals, objectives, action steps , and assessment of programs.
• Coordinates planning with interdisciplinary colleagues at the national, state and local levels, in the coordinated school health service program.
• Acts as a mentor and offers assistance to new district school nurses, and also coordinates assistance to the local community professional health members. This includes student nurses, and other health professionals.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum: Graduation from a Registered Nurse program. Licensed as a school nurse by the Public Education Department.
Preferred: BA in nursing. And a minimum of two (2) years experience of school nursing, community health or public health. Ability to speak Spanish is highly desirable.
Application Process: Apply online at SFPS.info