Santa Fe Public Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
2019-2020 SY: Special Education High Needs/Autism Teacher at SFPS
at Santa Fe Public Schools
Openings as of 10/15/2019
- 2019-2020 SY: Special Education High Needs/Autism Teacher at SFPS JobID: 2936
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
Santa Fe Public Schools – Exceptional Student Services
SFPS has embarked on a multi-year plan to transform our special education services. Initiatives include intensive teacher training and support, 1-1 assistive technology, and state of the art digital and curriculum resources. We have a core group of Support Specialists who provide individualized support to schools including: IEP process, progress monitoring, behavior consults, assistive technology, and pragmatic social and communication skill building. If you are an energetic, life-long learner committed to bringing special education services into the 21st century, please apply for one of our district Support Specialist positions.
Nature of the Work
The goal of the autism program is for students to develop independence with expected social, coping, language, and compensatory skills. Students are explicitly taught social skills and coping strategies incidentally developed in neuro-typical peers. Specific skills taught include reading social/non-verbal cues, cognitive flexibility, self-monitoring/self-checking, keeping track of time, making mid-course changes in direction, planning, initiating and generating ideas, independence, perspective taking, as well as a number of other skills determined by the student’s intervention team. In addition a parent education program component will be implemented. Regular communication between school and parent/guardian, as well as regular coordination/planning with parent/guardian is an important component of this program.
School based program for elementary students.
• Bachelor's degree, Master’s preferred
• Experience teaching Autism, ASD or other communication related disabilities
• Current New Mexico Special Education Teacher license
• Current endorsements dependent upon specific positions may be required.
• Bilingual in Spanish/English is preferred
• Serves as a self-contained and resource classroom teacher, with coaching and hands-on support for general education teachers, to create effective educational programs of study that meet the individual needs, interests and abilities of students who have autism, ASD.
• Develops and implements an organized program, including specialized strategies, practices, and the adaptation of specialized curriculums (such as TeachTown, AutisMate, Fundations and Wilson).
• Autism implementation Training Strategies and implementation of district Autism team/specialist guidance.
• Fades and diminishes classroom support and consultation when appropriate in order to promote classroom autonomy.
• Establishes and maintains cohesive lines of communication with general education teachers, parents and students concerning students' functional progress, academics and other concerns. Promote school and family unity while incorporating parent participation whenever appropriate.
• Selects and requests appropriate instructional materials, technology devices, and supplies while maintaining required inventory records and utilizing purchase orders.
• Participates in IEP meetings helping to determine student present levels, goals, accommodations, progress monitor, modifications, and levels of service.
• Fulfills additional duties as assigned.
Apply online at www.sfps.info