University of New Mexico
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Assistant Professor of Photography - req# 10577
at University of New Mexico
Assistant Professor of Photography
|Hiring Department||Art Art History (595A)|
|Academic Location||College of Fine Arts|
|Campus||Main - Albuquerque, NM|
|Benefits Eligible||The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for more information.|
Assistant Professor of Photography. Probationary appointment leading to a tenure decision. 1.0 FTE. The new faculty member will teach courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels, advise MFA students, and serve on graduate committees when requested. We are seeking a candidate with capacity to engage photographic and imaging practice across a range of conceptual and material approaches.
The University of New Mexico's photography program was one of the first MFA programs in photography in the country, awarding its first degrees in 1968. UNM Photography is ranked #5 in Photography Graduate Programs by the US News & World Report. Rich resources at the University include the University of New Mexico Art Museum’s extensive photography collection and the Center for Southwest Research at Zimmerman Library. The University of New Mexico‘s Department of Art is part of the College of Fine Arts, whose internationally recognized programs, faculty, and staff provide a comprehensive education in both the visual and the performing arts.
· M.F.A. in Studio Art with emphasis in Photography
· Two years cumulative university-level teaching experience as instructor of record after the M.F.A.
· A strong record of recent exhibition
· Technical and conceptual expertise in both analog and digital photography
· Demonstrated interest in contributing to a contemporary interdisciplinary setting in an atmosphere of close faculty-student mentoring
· An active and accelerating record of professional engagement, which might include exhibitions, public installations, and print and/or web-based publications
· An emphasis on contemporary studio art practices, with additional interest and expertise in expanded photography, particularly in video, performance, and/or installation
· Conversant in contemporary issues of theory and aesthetics, especially as they relate to photography
· A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities
|Application Instructions||All applicants must apply online at the University of New Mexico web site: hr.unm.edu, Req #10577. Please attach as part of the application in the UNMJobs system: (1) a letter of application that includes contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and/or service; (2) CV with names and complete addresses (mailing, telephone, and e-mail) of three recommenders; (3) maximum of three representative course syllabi; (4) teaching philosophy; (5) artist statement; (6) 20 examples of your work, with a list of images, including title, year, medium, and size. Image portfolio should be uploaded as a screen-resolution PDF file. |
Applicants who are appointed to a UNM faculty position are required to provide an official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to their initial employment with UNM.
|For Best Consideration||For best consideration, please apply by 11/30/2019. This position will remain open until filled.|
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.