UNM Medical Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Medical Coding Analyst 1
at UNM Medical Group
UNM Cancer Center - Radiation Oncology
$20.01 minimum - $25.01 mid-point, hourly
# of Openings:
Job Code/Title: B1027/ Medical Coding Analyst 1
FLSA: Non- Exempt
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
UNM Medical Group, Inc. (UNMMG) is the practice plan organization for physicians and other medical providers associated with the UNM Health Sciences Center. UNM Medical Group, Inc. is a New Mexico non-profit corporation and is an equal opportunity employer. UNMMG offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as tuition assistance, paid leave and 403b retirement for benefits eligible employees.
This position will be located at the University of New Mexico Comprehensive Cancer Center (UNMCCC). UNMCCC is the Official Cancer Center of New Mexico and the only National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in a 400-mile radius. One of the premier cancer centers nationwide, the UNM CCC has 128 board-certified oncology physicians, forming New Mexico’s largest cancer care team. It treats about 60 percent of adults and virtually all the children in New Mexico diagnosed with cancer - more than 10,000 people - from every county in the state in more than 135,000 clinic visits each year. Through its partnership with the New Mexico Cancer Care Alliance, an “exemplary national model for cancer health care delivery”, the UNM CCC offers access to more than 160 clinical trials to New Mexicans in every part of the state. Annual research funding of more than $72 million supports the UNMCCC’s 132 cancer scientists. Working with partners at Los Alamos and Sandia National Laboratories, Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, and New Mexico State University, they have developed new diagnostics and drugs for leukemia, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, prostate cancer, liver and pancreatic cancer, brain cancer, and melanoma; garnered 33 new patents and 117 patents pending; and launched 13 new biotechnology companies since 2010.
UNMMG has an urgent need for a radiology coder or a coder with a strong intereste in learning radiology! Contribute your expertise or learn a new coding specialty from our experienced radiology coders.
Working within the Department of Radiology, this individual will be responsible for reviewing medical record documentation to appropriately level and code prior to billing as well as providing ongoing documentation and feedback to radiology providers.
The successful candidate must be able to work in a team environment.
The following statements are intended to describe, in broad terms, the general functions and responsibility levels characteristic of positions assigned to this classification. They should not be viewed as an exhaustive list of the specific duties and prerequisites applicable to individual positions that have been so classified.
Position is responsible for coding ICD-10 diagnosis and CPT professional fee codes. Assignments may include outpatient clinic and/or inpatient visits, diagnostic procedures, and emergency room encounters for the purpose of reimbursement, research and compliance with federal regulation. Responsible for review of documentation in medical records to assure that documentation by providers conforms to compliance and legal requirements. Provide feedback to the practitioners on coding practices. Coder must meet department productivity and quality standards. Ensure adherence to policies and procedures and guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for review and analysis of medical records for E & M levels for consultations, office visits and/or inpatient, for new or established patients in order to assign appropriate CPT and ICD-10 codes.
- Responsible for identifying and reviewing documentation in an EMR environment to ensure that all required signatures and addendums are present in the medical record.
- Responsible for analysis as well as resolution of coding edits that occur.
- Interaction and feedback to providers, when necessary, regarding medical documentation deficiencies or to request clarification of documentation components.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of medical records and documentation.
- Follows established policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
High School diploma or GED and 6 months directly related experience or successful completion of UNMMG Medical Coding Internship Program. Certification in at least one of the following: RHIT, RHIA, RCC, CIRCC, CSS, CCA, CCS-P, COC, CIC, CPC, CPC-P or CPC-A. Verification of education and licensure (if applicable) will be required if selected for hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to clearly communicate medical information to professional practitioners.
- Knowledge of legal and regulatory guidelines pertaining to coding practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of procedure coding and ability to review medical records to identify billable services and assign codes appropriately.
- Knowledge of E & M CPT coding and ability to review medical records to identify billable services and assign codes appropriately for outpatient and/or inpatient visits.
- Working knowledge of medical anatomy, terminology, HCPCS, ICD-10 and CPT coding.
- Knowledge and experience in healthcare software management systems (e.g. Cerner, Impac-Mosaiq, and IDX).
- Skills in working with Microsoft Office products such as Excel and Word.
- Working knowledge of electronic editing systems.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be employment eligible as verified by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA).
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Fingerprinting, and subsequent clearance, is required.
- Must provide proof of varicella & MMR immunity or obtain vaccinations within 90 days of employment.
- Must obtain annual influenza vaccination.
- If this position is assigned to a clinical area, successful candidate will be required to complete a pre-placement medical evaluation/health screen. Required N-95 mask fitting, testing, vaccinations to include annual TST, Tdap, and Hepatitis B will be determined based on location and nature of position.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.